The Chitwan National Park (CNP) is a world heritage property, and it also contains a Ramsar Site – Beeshazari Tal in its buffer zone.
It is a rich natural area in the Terai, the subtropical southern part of Nepal. With its lush forests and exotic fauna which include the rare one horned rhino, the Royal Bengal tiger, crocodiles, elephants, deer and over five hundred species of birds, the Chitwan National Park offers one of the finest wildlife experiences in Asia. Lying in the Terai belt, encompassed by the Churia Hills and flanked by the Rapti, Reu and Narayani rivers, the park covers an area of 932 sq. km.
Things to do & Places to Visit
- Elephant ride: The greatest thrill while at Chitwan is the traditional elephant ride. Taking an elephant ride to the jungle is an experience not to be missed. Elephant safaris usually start in the early morning or late afternoon. The best months for this are from mid-February when the elephant grass has been cut, allowing unobstructed views.
- Jungle Walk: It is also possible to take a walk inside the park, provided you are accompanied by at least two guides.
- Canoeing: Canoeing along the Rapti or Narayani rivers is the most restful way of watching the wildlife especially the aquatic birds and crocodiles.
- Tharu Villages: Several lodges arrange visits to nearby Tharu villages. Tharu, the original inhabitants of Chitwan, have their own culture, language and customs which are quite different from that of the Nepalese hill people.
- Elephant Breeding center: A visit to the elephant breeding camp and the Gharial breeding centre can also prove to be informative.
Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit the park is from October to April.
Where to Stay
In Chitwan, variety of lodges are available from multi-starred to basic but comfortable. Budget travelers can stay at Sauraha, a nearby village that has some higher end accommodations as well. Meals are provided either by the lodges, or can have something at the restaurant.
Wildlife Safari Package Tours
The itineraries and activities of the Chitwan and the Bardia national parks are almost similar in character, but activities may vary between seasons. The number and course of your safari activities are determined by the number of nights you book for.
- 2nights 3days programs: include activities like Elephant back safari, jungle walk, bird watching, dugout canoe rides on the river and a visit to the elephant briefing. In the evening a cultural show of the traditional Terai dances are a must.
- 3 night 4 days program : includes top up on 2 night 3 days a few more specialized excursions like a jungle jeep drive and a visit to the elephant breeding centre. And there are also boat trips arranged to see the crocodiles and dolphins. To further enhance your jungle experience and add to the thrill and excitement, a stay overnight in a Jungle Tower in the parks will give you a memorable holiday of a lifetime.
Trip Start Dates and Cost
We organize the trip on the dates requested by you.If you wish to discuss any aspect of this trip or your suitability for it, please contact us for your customized departure date and cost.